Since 2016, Bigo Live – a live-streaming app, providing real-time user-generated content – has aimed to unite global communities. Targeting a Gen-Z and Millennial audience and with 28m monthly active users in 150 countries as of Q32020, users (known as ‘broadcasters’) can share life moments and showcase talents. Fans who watch the content show support by sending real-time, virtual gifts, which can be converted into real money, allowing broadcasters to potentially earn an income through content production – and providing much-needed economic support during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Integrated into the app is a sophisticated Content Management System, powered by AI. This technology provides users with a safe, trusted online platform environment, by:
• Automatically reviewing over 300million data pockets (images, videos, text) – detecting undesirable feeds (e.g. gambling) with 99.5% accuracy and removing within 60 seconds.
• Processing 300million images, human-input review 1million images, and 60,000 pieces of negative content daily.
• Housing 200,000 undesirable keywords in a negative keyword library; AI automatically detects, issuing penalties to offenders.
RESPONDING TO A GLOBAL PANDEMIC
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Bigo Live responded quickly by using the platform to educate, promote social distancing and ease stay-home blues via a plethora of new, diverse #stayatbigo content. Content included virtual fitness sessions and live-streamed DJ sets.
On 14th May 2020, Bigo Live also organised a 24-hour live-streamed fundraising concert, showcasing 100+ broadcasters from 20 countries. The event attracted 3.7million viewers, raising just under US$110,000 for the World Health Organisation’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.
As well as interactive content to unite users and reinforce the ‘stay home, stay safe’ message, Bigo Live actively donated masks and gloves to vulnerable communities around the world, which included the sending of care packages to content creators.
Bigo Live is proud to have achieved:
• A top-five grossing social app (Google Play/Apple Apps) in countries including America, Thailand and Indonesia (March-2020).
• A #6 ranking in a 2020 Apptopia/Braze.com live-streaming report, outranking Disney+ and Twitch, for global downloads.
• Wins in 2020 at the SBR Technology Excellence Awards, IT World Awards and International Business Awards (Stevies).