We had the privelage to spend some time talking to Michael Elman - Creative Director at Budge Studios about Chuggington Traintastic Adventures.
1. What was your main objective or motivation for creating the Chuggington Traintastic Adventures mobile app?
We wanted to give Chuggington fans, and all fans of trains and train sets, a virtual train set that captured the real life experience and augmented it with all of the great features available on a touchscreen device.
2. If you could describe the Chuggington Traintastic Adventures app in ONE word, what would it be and why?
"Traintastic!" . Because it is fantastic to see just how much the app has engaged kids and families.
3. What is the coolest or most innovative feature of Chuggington Traintastic Adventures?
The navigation of the trains by users. we developed a sophisticated mechanic for kids to draw the path they want the train to take.
4. Could you share a challenging factor of the development or marketing process?
It is a challenge to offer a robust and impressive experience while still supporting as many low end devices as possible. Many kids inherit older devices from their parents, so it remains important to support them.
5. Any unexpected surprises post-release of the Chuggington Traintastic Adventures app?
It's been a pleasant surprise that the apps popularity has maintained steadily since it launched in late 2012.
6. Which platform holds a larger user base: iOS or Android?
iOS, It launched there earlier than the Android versions.
7. What is your favorite mobile app to date and which have inspired you?
I love the simplicity found in games like FlapCraft and Super Hexagon. They aren't for kids, but goes to show how one great gameplay feature/mechanic can be all you need.
8. What features do you hope to roll out to the Chuggington Traintastic Adventures app in the future?We are working on some stuff for the younger Chuggington fans, as TTA is aimed a bit at the older spectrum of the fan base.