We had the privelage to spend some time talking to Pat Toulouse from Ratrod Studio about Chuggington Championship 2.
1. What was your main objective or motivation for creating the Drift Mania Championship 2 mobile app?
We took in consideration all the feedback we received for the original Drift mania game and addressed many points. Our first goal was to push the graphics further which was now possible as the mobile technology evolves quickly.
2. If you could describe the Drift Mania Championship 2 app in ONE word, what would it be and why?
Balance: Drifting is all about the combination of steering and throttle. Playing the game can be frustrating at first but as you get better you understand that balance which helps you hold longer drifts and gain more points.
3. What is the coolest or most innovative feature of Drift Mania Championship 2?
The new tournament mode is pretty awesome. The first Drift Mania game only included a “single” mode; now that players can drift in tandem against an opponent and complete a tournament, it really make it more challenging.
4. Could you share a challenging factor of the development or marketing process?
Being out there with half a million other apps always makes it a bit hard to stand out. That’s why we teamed up with some of the largest aftermarket car parts companies including K&N, Royal Purple, Magnaflow, Centerforce, Whiteline and Mishimoto to help us on the promo side.
5. Any unexpected surprises post-release of the Drift Mania Championship 2 app?
We were very excited about the real time multiplayer online. Being able to play against players on all platforms is awesome. When the game launched, we also connected with our fans and received quite a few challenges. Some were as good as us or better which was surprising especially since the game just came out.
6. Which platform holds a larger user base: Android or iOS?
Currently Android has the largest user base and iOS / Windows phone are pretty similar in second place.
7. What is your favorite mobile app to date and which have inspired you?
Surprisingly, I get most of my inspiration from console or next gen games. Growing up, I’ve always been a huge racing and skateboarding game fan. I have been deeply involved in car tuning and in fact, my first business to kick off was a car parts business. In 2007, my company was one of the largest online distributors of aerodynamic and aftermarket car parts in Canada. I also love to skateboard and have been skateboarding for over 20 years so I have a real passion for that as well. Being able to develop games about things that you enjoy makes it a great recipe for success.
8. What features do you hope to roll out to the Drift Mania Championship 2 app in the future?
We will be doing pretty major improvements within the next few weeks on the multiplayer mode. This will help improve the match-making process and also allows players to host private match-ups.