We had a chance to speak to
Lucia Predolin, the VP OF Global Marketing at
Buongiorno, a wholly owned subsidiary of NTT DOCOMO
Could you share a challenging factor of the development or marketing process?
When we started thinking about the Android app for KidzInMind, we realized there was a big design problem. We wanted to allow parents to download different apps, but at the same time keeping children in a safe environment for them where there is no in-app payments & adv, and possibly with a parental control system. After several brainstorming, with the help of the developers, we designed an innovative system where the main app (KidzInMind) is in control of other applications downloaded from the Play Store. In this way KidzInMind has born.
Do you plan on releasing your app to other platforms as well?
The version we have on iOS right now is just the first version with basic features. We are working on a new version, much improved, with a lot of new features and branded content. This is our top priority right now. We are also working on a version of KidzInMind for Windows Phone, which is becoming increasingly relevant in Europe and Asian countries
If you could describe your app in ONE word, what would it be and why?
SUPER-SAFE EDUTAINMENT APP:
• KidzInMind is a single app containing videos and apps approved by experts to make early learning fun for toddlers and young children (1-6YRS)
• KidzInMind is certified by KidSAFE
• KidzInMind unique features: Parental Control function to prevent exiting the app, therefore unsafely browsing the net without parents supervision as well as a time limit alert.
• Every app within KidzInMind has been selected and approved to meet strict criteria. It is Safe and Secure, without inappropriate language, advertising, hidden payments and no way of exiting the app. It's educational for all apps have been evaluated by experts in education, nutrition and healthy development.
Were there any unexpected surprises post-release of your app?
The idea described above was something new in world of apps for kids, and despite the focus groups were positive, we were curious about users reactions. After the release of the Android app we were pleased to discover that users like the concept very much. They like to have a catalog full of content handpicked by expert and to have the possibility to give the device their children, playing in a safe environment. Another positive surprise was the amount of interesting suggestions received from the parents, which have helped a lot to improve our service.
What features do you hope to roll out to your app in the future?
- Personalization of the interface with a magic wand
- Stickers Printing
- Off line video
- Selfie Wow App pictures easier sharing functionalities.
What is the coolest or most innovative feature of your app?
“BABY MODE SET UP" restricts activities: The KidzInMind “BABY MODE" Parental Control feature allows parents to specify exactly what your kids can do using the phone or tablet, e.g.: no internet or other apps access.
What is your favorite mobile app to date and which have inspired you?
A Japanese portal dedicated to kids by our mother company NTT DOCOMO called d-kids (available only in Japanese).
What was your main objective or motivation for creating your mobile app?
The internet is everywhere and the devices to access it are pervasive in every household.
- So what happens when there are small, preschool kids at home?
- How should parents deal with technology?
- Is it right to let toddlers use mobile devices?
- For how long?
- Is it safe?
- Is it good for their development and growth?
KidzInMind answers “Yes" with a multi-platform service for parents of children aged 1-6.
You can view KidzInMind here